- Satisfy our Customers
- Expect Accountability
- Make a Positive Impact
- Hire the Best
- Build Successful Teams
- Embrace Change
- Be Fiscally Responsible
- Create a Great Workplace
- Reward Performance
- Pride in Achievement
Our people make us great.
Learn more about us >
Senior Network Engineer
Date Posted: February 2019
Reports to: Director of Engineering
FSLA Status: Full-Time Exempt
About Data Networks
Our tagline says it all: Simplifying Enterprise IT. Since 1983, Data Networks has been one of the Mid-Atlantic’s premier technology solution providers offering Client Computing, Data Center, Networking, Cloud, and Managed Services to a wide range of public sector and commercial customers.
The primary responsibility of the Senior Network Engineer (SNE) is to work on enterprise-level projects including: on-site implementation, integration, deployment, and troubleshooting of enterprise-class storage, virtualization, backup and recovery systems (BRS) solutions to major accounts. The SNE must be an experienced customer-facing professional with hands-on experience working on large-to-medium-scaled enterprise engagements. In addition, the SNE will serve as the Technical Alignment Manager (TAM) to Data Networks’ Managed Services (MSP) customers and will consult with them on best technology practices. The person will lead and participate in the development of technical strategies, architectures, and delivery processes for new services as the MSP business grows.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Work directly with new and existing MSP customers to understand their business and apply technical concepts to help them achieve their goals.
- Execute optimal leading-edge technical solutions to maximize added value.
- Serve as primary point of contact to MSP team and customers to plan/setup/test/maintain the MSP offering.
- Conduct the onboarding process of new customers.
- Strategize with Solutions Architect(s) and customers to clarify expectations on assigned projects as necessary.
- Provide customer service to MSP customers while scheduling and conducting deployment of engineers to those sites, if required, within the scope of the SLAs.
- Assess and respond to incoming escalation issues.
- Participate in after-hours support of processes, if an escalation occurs after hours for MSP customers.
- Work directly with clients and account managers to follow procedural guidelines to engage other teams within the organization.
- Schedule regular onsite visits with MSP customers, providing systems reporting, ongoing support review, potential project discussions and addressing needs.
- Identify technical risks and or minimize reactive issues for MSP customers.
- Maintain records to support customer environments and run performance tests.
- Contribute to and build a Standards Library of processes and procedures for all MSP customers.
- Prioritize, evaluate, and manage projects in a fast paced, interruption-driven environment.
- Work closely with customers to resolve sensitive issues; ensure that the ongoing quality of work is top notch, professional and meets the needs of the customer.
- Interface with other members of the Engineering organization to maintain standards and operating procedures and provide information as appropriate to manager, project manager, and various departments within the company.
- Engineer must be the type of engineer who can speak to other engineers and is not afraid to roll up their sleeves to do hands-on implementation work.
- Provide detailed documentation and procedures for all solutions.
- Work with the Director of Engineering to determine educational and training needs in order to maintain and enhance individual/company abilities to maintain and support various technologies and industry certifications.
- Maintain up-to-date certifications in appropriate technologies.
- Participate in industry forums, tradeshows and seminars as appropriate.
- Read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, and technical procedures to keep abreast of latest trends in industry.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge equivalent to the completion of a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar field of study.
Must have 5-7 years expert working knowledge in two or more of the following:
Storage: Hands-on proficiency with ISCSI and/or Fibre Channel SAN installation and configuration experience across multiple networking solutions; EMC and/or Dell preferred; NetApp, HP or Hitachi desired.
Virtualization: Hands-on proficiency with the installation, configuration, implementation of server virtualization technology, including Microsoft Windows 2012/2016 HyperV, VMware vSphere 6 and VMware View 6/7 technologies.
BRS: Designing and implementing back-up strategies using backup-to-disk technology, data de-duplication technology, and remote data replication technology Software installation and configuration experience in EMC Networker, EMC Data Domain, Dell AppaSure, EMC Avamar.
Server: Windows 2012 Server installation, configuration and system management experience; Windows 2016; Hands-on experience with older versions of Microsoft Windows.
- Proactive in managing issues and problems, comfortable with ambiguity.
- Demonstrated ability to establish strong customer relationships, act as the customer’s trusted technical advisor, while exhibiting a superior consultative approach in both technical and business process decisions.
- Skilled at tackling unusual and complex challenges, can guide and advise others; Demonstrate poise and professionalism.
- Strong technical and business acumen is required. A strong skill set of organization and documentation will also be needed.
- Able to travel in and around the MD area 30% of the time.
- Strong team orientation with a willingness and ability to share knowledge.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Physically able to lift and move enterprise hardware in our customer environments.
- Able to pass a criminal background check and drug screening.
Industry Certifications (one or more of the below highly desired):
- Dell Certified Systems Engineer including VTRX, Compellant Top Gun, Equallogic Storage certification
- VMware VCP certification in vSphere 5.x or 6.x
- EMC Certified
- Base salary and monetary incentives for certification achievement are commensurate with experience.
What We Offer
At Data Networks, we live by our core values and insist on excellence in all we do for customers and ourselves – but we like to have fun, too. Some highlights include:
- Competitive compensation (including base salary and variable commission) and benefits, including generous paid time off, medical, vision, dental, 401K plan, etc.
- Ongoing opportunities for development and career advancement
- Comprehensive training programs
- The opportunity to work in a creative, comfortable, progressive and fun environment
How to Apply
Please email your resume as a Word document attachment with the job for which you are applying named in the subject line to: email@example.com.
Please note that no acknowledgement of receipt will be issued and that only parties of interest will be contacted.
Data Networks is an EEO/AA employer.